Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Borderlands 2 Review and Guilt.






First things first, I am not a FPS type of gal. I doln't care about COD and all its avengers, I really don't understand Halo, and I'm just not too fond of anything else that resembles a scenario of which "this is what it would be like if you were drafted into the military!"

In some cases, I am willing to put my motives aside and try one of these FPS games, because they have a sort of significant back-story behind them. One example would be Fallout 3, which has a plot so engrossing that it should be made into a feature-length film.

Borderlands 2 is also one of these games. At first, I wasn't too sure about trying this game. Even though the cover art is what made me interested in the first place, the whole idea of playing a FPS made me hesitate, but when I read the plotline on wikipedia,  I figured, ehh what the hell. Here is the plot copypasta'd from wiki:

Five years have passed since the events of Borderlands, when vault hunters exposed the secrets of the Eridian Vault. A man called Handsome Jack has taken credit for the vault hunters' actions and claimed the wealth of the Vault, allowing him to take over the Hyperion Corporation and effectively gain dominion over Pandora. Promising to clean the lawless planet up, Handsome Jack embarks on a campaign to exterminate Pandora's existing colonist population and industrialize the planet. The main symbol of Handsome Jack's rule is a massive supply base built in the shape of an "H" on Pandora's moon. The base is always visible, and can deploy Hyperion forces to any point on Pandora. Borderlands 2 begins with the player fighting to the death to win a priceless cache of loot in a gladiatorial tournament run by Handsome Jack for his personal amusement. The player succeeds and gains notoriety, but Handsome Jack sees this as a threat to his popularity with the people. At the tournament's end he denies the reward and leaves the player for dead in a tundra. The mysterious Guardian Angel from the first game then contacts the player and explains that Handsome Jack must be killed, directing the player to rescue the four original vault hunters from Hyperion's clutches to accomplish this. Although Jack's full intentions are unknown, part of his plan involves finding an ancient evil named "The Warrior" that is located somewhere on Pandora.

 
See? interesting, huh? In the beginning, I wasn't really looking forward to playing this game (since I had already bought it, I felt obligated to play it), but I figured, hey, if it doesn't work out, I can always return it, right?


Wrong. This game isn't going anywhere. People claim that this game is addictive, and I'll tell you why: When I first began the game, I breezed through the first few parts so fast that I became confident in my abilities to conquer any enemy at any cost. At one point I became so engrossed in the game that I started yelling "come at me, bro!" to my television screen. Now here is where you realize that the game has got you. At one point I died, and instead of re-spawning near where I left off, somehow I re-spawned all the way on the other side of the town. For at least 3 minutes I felt like I was being jadded, and wondering why I was transported into a vast wasteland instead of where my save point was, only to find out that I WAS near my save point, but the camera was angled to make me think that I was supposed to go in the opposite direction. HAHA funny, ok, I see what you did there. Even though I WAS mad, I had realized that if I weren't so damn into this game at the moment, I would have just shut off my Xbox and went to bed.
This game isn't without its faults, though; the boss fights are too much for tv. Borderlands 2 is clearly not a game welcoming to newcomers. The boss fights are really difficult and are time consuming, please be expected to die at lease 10 times during this round. I find that cowering in a corner and waiting until the enemy comes to you easier than running into combat head-on. The enemies in this game are brutal, and they level up every time you level up. The amount of violence and hostility in this game is so epic it makes the wasteland in the Fallout series look like the fucking garden of Eden.

Overall, I really, really like this game, a little more than I should, because like I said before, I don't play FPS, they SUCK, and normally they lack plotline, but this game is better than most FPS in my opinion. Yeah there's enemies, and there's parts where you wont know what the hell is going on, but the game wont let you down, there are marker points on your map, a cute little robot named claptrap whom I will defend at all costs, and GUNNNSSS, loads and loads of guns.

Now here is the guilt. I kinda gave up on Borderlands 1. I did. As I played through several days of Skyrim, Borderlands just sat there collecting dust, because I had played through it and found myself frustrated at the fact that it just seemed to throw you into the game, whereas Borderlands 2 eases you into it. I recommend this game for anyone

No comments:

Post a Comment