Sunday, July 15, 2012

Skyrim.

One word: Dragons.






Muthafuckin' Dragons.

This game is amazing. Ok, so I actually had gotten this game from the redbox a long time ago, just to try it out, and I was so frustrated that I was about to rant about it on this blog. However, when I actually gave the game a chance, I kept it for so long that my overdue fee was at least 20 bucks. 

First of all, the plot is awesome:
Tamriel, a continent on the planet of Nirn, is in the midst of a civil war. The Imperial army, lead by General Tullius, are kind of like the Romans in a way, and they hail from Cyrodil, the central province of Tamriel. The Imperial army is in a feud with The Stormcloaks, who want skyrim to be independent from the superior Imperials and from the region. It turns out that the Stormcloaks are incredibly racist, because they are basically a group of Nords, tall, fair skinned people from Skyrim, the northernmost province in Tamriel, and they can withstand the cold. You can either side with the Stormcloaks or the Imperials.
But the main plotline of Skyrim is dragons. You start out as a prisoner about to be executed for crossing the border into Skyrim, when a dragon comes out of nowhere and kills everyone, except for you and whomever you side with. Turns out, the dragons and the civil war were a part of the prophecy by the elder scrolls, that said that Alduin, the dragon-god, is supposed to somehow consume the world..?However, you are a dragon-born, a person born with the soul of a dragon (LOL) or Dovahkiin, and every time a dragon is killed, you absorb their soul and a dragon-born's purpose is to fend off any threat Alduin poses to Tamriel.

I gotta say, if that isn't the most epic stuff, then IDK what is. The plotline is really good, and the fact that theres at least 200 quests, theres no excuse to be bored. The gameplay is very good, I have used maybe 2 weapons throughout the game thus far, and they're two handed weapons, but they are very reliable, I even call my character Thor and my weapon Mjolnir HAHAHA Nord Mythology joke..no really my character is a female I named Loo because this playthrough was originally supposed to be practice.

But what actually GOT me was the scenery..




While wandering to High Hrothgar, I was walking along a path and noticed how ALIVE this game is. I will retell my experience in my best essay writing:
 The weather started out nice as I stayed the path to the highest tip of the tallest mountain in Skyrim. As I wandered, I passed several imperial soldiers, a group of elk, even some traders by the river asked me if I would join them for a drink. As I continued on, the sky got darker and it started to rain. I passed by an old nordic building which is now a bandit hideout, my traveling companion, Lydia, and I, were forced to defend ourselves from the bandits while afterwards looting their bodies for gold. The sky got darker and night started to fall as we finally made it to Ivarstead, which is known for being a small rest stop for people on their way to high Hrothgar. Here is where I heard the tales of the mountains, filled with steep cliffs and frost trolls, and 7,000 steps to get there. One man told me about the greybeards; the inhabitants of High Hrothgar who do not speak, because their voices are so loud that it shakes the mountains. After a good night's sleep, I began my quest to High Hrothgar while climbing the 7,000 steps. I trudged through the snow with all my might and without any encounter of frost trolls, I finally made it to High Hrothgar.

This game has kept my time. Bethesda really did it with this one, I mean, I didn't really like Oblivion, I heard that New Vegas sucked, but I haven't seen a masterpiece like this since Fallout 3. Sadly, I had to return the game today, I had gotten it again for my day off Friday, but I almost cried....jK, no really, I haven't been this attached to a game since AC. I will be getting this game for my birthday next week.

2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend just bought this game. I can't tell you whether I like it or not because he spent HOURS configuring the look of his character! OY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Character creation in the game is a little over detailed. I mean, the whole game is in 1st person (with options to switch to 3rd)anyway, but little did I know that this game is extremely smart (and racist), and sometimes you can get attacked just by being a certain race, or you will be more accepted into a society just by being another. One mission, you will easily win just by being a high elf, and another mission will have the NPCs be very hostile to you just by being a khajiit (cat person). It's complicated. But an awesome sort of complicated..

      Delete