Friday, August 24, 2012

A Short Rant About Religion.

A touchy subject indeed, but I just think it's awkward to bring up religion when you first meet someone. I don't think it's appropriate.

People have different beliefs, and just because they're different from yours, that doesn't mean they're bad, that just means they do things another way than you do. I can't tell you how many discussions I've gotten in where people told me I was wrong or I wasn't supposed to worship that way. For starters, I'm a catholic, ok? Which means that our way of prayer is normally different from baptists, protestants, Lutheran, etc. But because our way is different from normal, straightforward christians, I have been told that it wasn't appropriate because we worship idols or something?First of all, WTF, Idols? Like Easter Island heads or something? I don't worship idols, I mean yeah, we have the saints and the virgins, but in my opinion God would be the superior above them, right? so what's the big deal?

Another reason why religious people get on my nerves is because they take forever to get to the point. They have to explain EVERYTHING. For an example, I will admit, at one point in my life I was an atheist. People would ask me about religion, and I would just tell them I was an atheist. I have no problem telling people my point of view, there's no point in lying, and I know you're hurt because I don't want to participate in your religion club, but one time in high school this girl (who turned out to be a member of the Junior Christians Alliance or whatever it was called) asked me if I believed in God, and I told her no..BRO, before I knew it, the teacher, that girl, and some guy who looked like he had just gotten out of juvie all tried to give me some sort of religious intervention - which really didn't help, I was ready for them to burn me at the stake or hang me for practicing witchcraft or something. It's just a waste of time, if I just believe in something else, then I just believe in something else, now leave me alone.

It just gets me how people always want to change someone's beliefs. I mean, if the person is going through hell then ok, show them the path or whatever, but if someone is just fine and dandy, leave them alone. And stop peddling religion like it's a brand of girl scout cookies - it's greedy. Like I cannot even explain how many times I am at work and a customer just wants to stop and have a conversation about religion:

Me: Hi! how are you?
Customer: Hello

ok, that's normal, but when they start pulling this stuff right here:

Customer: have you heard the word of God today? 
Do you know Jesus?
I'm here to tell you about it.

What IS this? The fucking crusades or something?

I'm not gonna bash here, their intentions are good and they mean well, but I just can't help thinking of this whenever conversations like this appear:
 templars!!


Disclaimer: I have nothing against any religion or anything, to me different beliefs are what make the world and cultures unique, but when that whole "my religion is better that yours" stuff starts popping up, it makes me feel like who are you to tell us what to do with our lives?

Plus, like I said before, my family is catholic, I was raised catholic, my mom went to catholic school, but I have my own beliefs. To be honest here, religion scares me. I just feel like whatever you do, no matter what, it's wrong and you will be punished for it, so while I have attempted to embrace religion because LOL..things do not go as planned for me most of the time, it's just really really uncomfortable. Does the effort at least count?

No comments:

Post a Comment