Saturday, March 30, 2013

And just where the fuck is my encyclopedia?

Has anyone seen my encyclopedia? My mom got rid of it a few years ago and I'm looking around on the interwebz to see if I can find a new one exactly like it. The problem is, I don't know what it's called, who it's by, or what it looks like. All I can recall is this:
 
 

Blue border, red cover, random illustrations, edges mysteriously chewed or dissolved off or something.
 
I don't know why that book appeared into my life, but it was like fate, kind of like what the burning bush was to Moses, this book was to me. I'm gonna be completely honest though, I stole this book from a pediatrics office when I was like, 8, ok? I'm not sure where they get their stuff from, but it wasn't exactly top gear. When I first opened the book I was mesmerized; lots of vivid illustrations about wildlife and the history of fashion, the Italian renaissance, Greek mythology, The [formerly known as] Amazon Jungle for Pete's sake!

 
In my defense, I could've ended up extremely ignorant if I hadn't have taken the book. Seriously, I started off elementary school in DeKalb County, which, for anyone outside of the Atlanta area's information, has recently laid off top school supervisors because their test scores and schools started to resemble Eastside high from the movie Lean On Me. There's not much that can really be taught there because of the lack of money and the curriculum (which is so far behind, it's still in reconstruction-era south). I had to learn everything on my own time, from watching the discovery channel with my dad, to playing computer games as a shut-in, and then this encyclopedia that was sent from the heavens. This encyclopedia made me the smart-ass that I am today ^ ^.

However, I am having a hard time finding it. I've typed in several keywords to Google and it still has no clue what I'm talking about. I'm really starting to think that this book is like the modern day version of the Elder Scrolls or something because I can't find it for the LIFE OF ME. I was gonna pass it down to my...dog's great-great-great grand puppies. I was gonna bury it in the backyard or something. Hell, I could've even built a tomb dedicated to it with traps and shit. I'm not kidding, this book was very important to me, so important that when I had company over they'd just look inside of it and go "ohhh..."

But like any good parent would, my mom throws it in the back of the trunk with a bunch of other books (WITHOUT MY PERMISSION BTW) and hauls it off to some donation crap. Not that donating crap is bad, but you don't donate the Holy Encyclopedia of Everything, dude. You just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment