Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Style Evolution.

I think it's weird how my style had evolved because of a certain events throughout my life, like moving, getting older, etc. I think it would only be appropriate to share them on this bliary (blog/diary, get it? haha) and that way whenever I organize my closet I can finally answer the questions "what the smurf was I thinking when I bought THAT?"

Unfortunately, I do not have any pics of myself showing these styles anymore. Why? because during a temper tantrum (will explain later) a few years ago, I had deleted my myspace page, which contained most of these photos. It was around the time myspace was dying off, anyway. So I'll just use pics from elsewhere.

In the beginning, there was frumpy. 2004-mid 2006

When I had entered middle school, around 2003/04, I had just started picking out my own clothes and my mom stopped buying clothes for me. Back then everyone at school was doing that whole preppy southern thing. I had just moved to a small town and my school had a specific dress code: collared shirts, tucked in with a belt. The only store to shop at for these shirts were rave, aeropostale, abercrombie, American eagle..

My look consisted of a polo shirt, flared jeans, and birkenstocks a.k.a "potato shoes" which I still own today.
  This is the only pic I could find that does the look justice.



Hip-hop. Mid 2006-Early 2007

When I had entered high school, I had decided that I wanted to not fit in anymore, and dress like everyone else, but not just like everyone else, I wanted to be stereotypically black. Back then hip hop fashion was a little different than it is today..

The whole cropped hoodie, fitted hat and air forces was the thing for southern, black, teenage females back then.

Ghetto Fabulous: Mid 2007- January 2008

Around this time, I was still engrossed in the hip-hop look, but not only did I want to be hip hop, I wanted to appear attractive LOL. I was obsessed with name brand clothing I had no money for. I also got my first haircut around this time.


80's glam: January 2008 - May 2008

I had moved back to my hometown and this is how everyone was dressing, so by law of the teenager I had to do it too, but I had to one up everyone.

I was gonna wear this to the "Glow in the dark tour"
Electro/Nu Raver: May 2008 -  July 2008

This one is pretty interesting because it's the first style that comes from prolonged isolation. School had just ended and I had no one to spend the summer with and nothing to do, so all I could do was find new music on myspace (Jeffery Starr, Millionaires., Ultraviolet Sound) and at this point I had taken my Japanese obsession to a new high. I had also dyed my hair cherry red.
Yes, I DID attempt to dress like this.


 80's hip hop: July 2008 - November 2008

When it was time to start Junior year at high school, I had gotten my hair cut again and I had a fresh new wardrobe. I had also taken an interest in old school hip hop and hipster rap (see: The Cool Kids, Kidz N The Hall)



EMO: November 2008 - March 2009

Why yes I did.

It had occured to me that I was angry. Yes, I was very disappointed in my teenage life. At the time, I had friends, but my love life was nonexistant. This was around the time of my first heartbreak. So I turned weird, and emo. I had already had traces of Emo in me, after being fond of black and white, and I had bought my first pair of chucks earlier that year.

I had also gone through this weird cybergoth phase as well.



Boy I was really angsty, wasn't I?! (Sarcasm)
Now, I had really done a complete flip with this one. I had deleted most of the hip hop songs off of my ipod and replaced them with either indie rock or house and techno. I haven't had a playlist full of hip hop since.
 This was also the first time that I stopped caring about what other people thought I should look like, and what I wanted to look like, I started shopping at the store formerly known as Hot Topic, and I started watching videos on Tamara Menocidekunt 's channel.

Grunge: March 2009 - Early May 2009

I had gotten more angsty by this point. Why? It was spring break and I realized that I had no one to spend it with. So one night I was just listening to songs of Nirvana and became an instant fan.


 But then a thought made it worse: the 90's were super cool, I was a kid with no worries. I became extremely nostalgic and went overboard with the grunge look, my only imitation of the grunge look being wake up - brush teeth - change pants. Done.

Skater: Mid May 2009 - whenever

I had realize that the same stores that were selling my grunge look were selling skater clothing. I had started listening to rock earlier in the year, but then I realized I kinda missed hip hop, so I made the transition a little easier by listening to Kid Cudi, N.E.R.D, etc.



Im gonna go ahead and stop here. Why? because afterwards my style had become a hybrid of everything that I had found that I was into at the time. I really did go through phases when I was younger, and it was strange, but some of these phases last to this very day. I don't have just ONE style anymore, I have lots of styles, and most of them depend on the type of mood that I'm in; when I'm happy, I dress bright, when I'm upset, I dress slightly darker.

I thought it was kind of interesting to look back on how I used to dress. Needless to say, I looked fucking stupid: I walked around really thinking I was Emo or Grunge and hardcore when really I was just a kid trying something new - trying to stand out. So everyone, clean out your closets, re-visit your old Myspace and Xanga accounts, stare closely at your old self, because it will make you like your new self a WHOLE lot better.










2 comments:

  1. This is such a WONDERFUL idea for an blog entry. If I ever get around to do something similar, I'll be sure to link your post :) Wonderful :P

    I can really relate to your style "evolution", only in just different ordering/time. It's amazing how much we change and evolve, and what's great is that it's fairly typical for us to go through all these kind of styles and labels, because the teenage years is definitely the time where we're trying to find our identity.

    GOOD STUFF :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I didn't even think of making this post until cleaning out my closet. It is literally like opening a time capsule.

      Delete