Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fashion Trends That I Don't Understand.

There are some fashion trends I love, some I hate, some that I'm just now embracing, and some that I don't understand. Well, theses are the ones I don't understand.

1. Maxi Skirts


A few years ago, I was a bridesmaid at my sisters' wedding. We had to wear these long black dresses and while everyone else looked normal, I looked longer and thinner than I really am, and people kept commenting on how tiny I was which pissed me off to oblivion.
I don't mind the hippy revival, in fact I was all into it at one point, but I am just not fond of long skirts- especially not on my tree-like figure. All I would have to do is wear a green maxi skirt, paint myself green, and get green liberty spikes and wham-o, I am now the statue of liberty.


2. Crop Tops



It's summertime in Georgia, and that means it's hot. So hot weather means summer clothing right? Not for everyone. I know that despite someone's body type they have to keep cool, but lets just say that not everything is flattering on everyone, there's just some parts of your body we don't want to see; in addition to being hot we don't want to be nauseous too.
I don't mind a crop top with a shirt on under it, but I wont be caught dead in a crop top, I just don't think it's appropriate to be wearing to wal-mart ffs. Every time I see a crop top I just picture those girls in the rap videos dancing next to a car parked by a pool or something like that, but I guess it's cute depending on how you wear it and how short it is. I guess IDK..

3. Neon Lipstick


Pink and purple and red is one thing, but green and yellow and all these other colors are just strange. I'm not sure I could pull this off because my lips are big enough, I don't want them to stand out any more, plus having blue lips brings back childhood memories of eating candy before school and walking around with blue lips for an hour. Like I said before, this is one of those trends that look good depending on how you wear it, mainly on BBC radio host Gemma Carney who is full of cool BTW.

4. Creepers


Legend has it that they were originally worn by WWII servicemen. When the servicemen would go to England, the English people caught onto the who idea or them or something like that. This trend is actually growing on me, I actually think it's pretty cute when worn the right way, but for me it would be really out of character to wear them. Whenever I see them, I think Tim Burton movie for some reason, they're just so silly and Willy Wonka-like. I haven't embraced them quite well, and I most likely wont be getting a pair any time soon, but they sure do beat those other shoes they used to sell at hot topic.

5. Feather Accessories


Feather earrings, necklaces, hair extentions, etc are a part of a collection I like to call "Native American Remorse Tribute". I think that people are so guilty of the treatment of Native Americans that they decide to use all of their trends and re-surface them, along with UGG boots and fringe stuff. I used to like this stuff when I lived in Arizona and it was everywhere, but now it's kind of played out, especially since Ke$ha got her hands on it.

6. Lace Clothing
 
 
I have no choice to embrace this trend since it's EVERYWHERE, but what's the deal? Madonna isn't wearing it, this isn't the Victorian era, why all the lace? Are we goth?



I'm pretty sure that there are more trends out there that are crossing over from "dislike" to "don't understand", but these are them for now. I'm scared to see what the future holds, and it looks like it's holding translucent nails.

3 comments:

  1. I like lacy tops a lot. They look dressy but are easy to pull off even when worn with simple jeans and flats.
    As for the neon lipsticks, I can't imagine anyone wearing them... except Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting!

      Yeah the lace look is coming back in every single tank top at forever 21 apparently. I have a lace tank (only lacy in the back) and it does come in handy when it gets unbearably hot down here. As for the lipstick...I'll just stick with neon polish.

      Delete
  2. 1. Maxi skirts: I'm a pretty big skirt-wearing gal, but maxi dresses are ok because I feel like they're harder to walk into. I'm not use to them. I feel like if I can't spread my legs over more than a feet then it's not comfortable, I'm going to trip and fall if I ever plan on running away from something (hah). I have a few maxi skirts, I love them, but I need them to flare out more so I feel like my legs aren't tied together.


    2. Crop tops: Crop tops are great only if you know how to wear them. I think they're great when you wear them with a pair of knee-high shorts or pants. They compliment each other. Whereas if you wear a crop top with low-rise pants, then there'd be too much unpleasant negative space going on in between.

    3. Neon lipstick: There are some definitely strange colors out there for lipsticks, but honestly, if you're confident enough to wear them, why not?


    4. Creepers: I love creepers. I have a pair of white ones and I get a lot of compliments when I wear them out in public. I'm a huge fan of fashion that relates to rockabilly, vintage, and punk rock, so it's only right for me to own a pair of creepers. ;)

    As for the rest, they're pretty meh in my book. I was never a fan of feathers. Black lace top are ok, nothing special. hehe

    ReplyDelete